Had a pet in your property? Here’s what you NEED to know about selling it.
A dog may be a man’s best friend, however not every buyer will feel the same as you do about your beloved pet. So here are our top 8 tips on how to ensure potential buyers are not put off by your furry friends.
1. Remember to repair any damage caused by pets, including carpets, hardwood flooring, walls, furniture and outdoor areas. Your home is not ready for viewings until these issues are addressed.
2. Remove pet stains and odours by having carpets and floors professionally cleaned. This shouldn’t cost you too much and will make a real difference for any viewer.
3. Tidy up the garden, especially if you have a dog that spends a lot of time outside.
4. Some pets can be funny around strangers in their home, try to relocate your pet during viewings unless it is exceptionally well-behaved. Remember some pets may potentially scare a buyer off!
5. Clean, clean, clean. We cannot emphasized this enough! The property must be thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed before each viewing. Potential buyers could have allergies, or there could be lingering smells you haven’t noticed because you have lived with them for so long. Smell can have a powerful effect on us and you don’t want to lose a sale simply because the odour in your home left a buyer feeling negative.
6. Remove litter boxes, food and water bowls, and pet toys while viewers are looking around.
Don’t forget to maximise the positives.
7. Pets can help make an otherwise sterile home feel cosy. Positioning a picture of a cute and well-behaved pet in a photo will help make a space feel more liveable. If strategically placed, the pictured pet might even draw attention to a home’s best feature such as a fireplace or window.
8. If your pet is exceptionally well-behaved (and we mean could be on krufts) it may boost the perception of your home during a viewing. But the pet must stay calm and you should limit it to just one pet at home during viewings.
If you have any queries on pets in properties, please dont hesitate to contact us.
Simple Estate Agents